Thursday 30 August 2007


Coffee..mmmm.. heaven...


It's only noon time and I have had my 3rd cup of coffee, and it will be at least 2 more by the time I go to bed tonight. The amount of caffeine I have in my system is no doubt overloaded, but what can you say to a coffee lover.. or rather 'addict'??? Not much I guess. I tried quitting coffee once, or was that twice, but it didn't last long before the smell of it lured me back into it's ecstasy ;-)


So, just how good is coffee for the body? I know it is very good indeed for the soul, mine that is :-) Now coffee lovers will agree that coffee is the sustenance of the mind, it keeps you going, from the moment its aroma hits your nostrils to the last drop in your cup.


Well now, I have just read this interesting piece of article on the news which says that drinking coffee can help ward off type 2 diabetes and may even help prevent certain cancers. Now how good is that?? There was also evidence that it may protect against certain types of colon cancer, as well as rectal and liver cancer, possibly by reducing the amount of cholesterol, bile acid and natural sterol secretion in the colon, speeding up the passage of stool through the colon (and thus cutting exposure of the lining of the intestine to potential carcinogens in food), and via other mechanisms as well. mmm..Getting better and better as it goes :-) Another research done (on animals) also found that the combination of exercise and caffeine increased destruction of precancerous cells that had been damaged by the sun’s ultraviolet-B radiation, meaning it prevents skin cancer!! So if you are thinking at this point, I drink coffee thus I can chuck away my sunscreen, hey! not so fast buddy!!! That was tested on animals!!! hahaha..

Ahh, but like everything else, whatever you take in moderation is good for you, whatever extra always spells trouble. And so it is with coffee.. unfortunately.. sigh.. In the same research conducted, they also found evidence that coffee may increase the risk of leukemia and stomach cancer, with the case for leukemia being strongest. Hmm..there is also that risk of coffee giving you osteoporosis. I wonder if that only applies to drinking black coffee. What if you take it with milk, and as we all know milk is good for your bones - doesn't that cancel out the osteo part????


So, there you go, the boons and banes of drinking coffee. Probably the best thing to do is - drink in moderation. Make every cup last longer and enjoy every drop. After all, you only live once!!


No comments: