Friday 8 June 2007

Just a passing thought
Yangebub, Cooogee, Coolbelup, Dog Swamp - just in case you're wondering what these are, they are names of suburbs in WA :-) Imagine living in Dog Swamp. When I first heard the name, I actually thought that it was a piece of swamp land, hence the name 'swamp', but when I went past the area on the way to Lancelin many months ago, I found out that the 'swamp' was actually a thriving area in the City of Stirling. Sometimes I wonder how people come up with names to suburbs or street names. They probably choose words with special meaning, or words in the native language. For e.g Yangebup, located in the City of Cockburn, takes its name from the nearby Yangebup Lake.

Now, although some names are a little weird, they still can't beat some of the names of streets or suburbs in KK, and I know that for sure. After all I used to live in Lorong Muntahan 3 (translated as Vomit Street No 3) in Taman Chendawan (Mushroom Park)!!!


And talking about names, I found that people have problems when it comes to spelling my name :-) The spelling variations that I have encountered include Betress, Betris, Beatris and Beathris!!! Funny considering all you have to do is to put two words together to make my name - beat and rice... hahahhaha

No comments: