Sunday 7 October 2007

This morning I had the pleasure to listen to Sr Joan, who was dubbed the Saint of Bangkok by our parish priest. She gave a brief insight to her work in the slums in Bangkok. Listening to her talk reminded me of my teaching vocation. She has been living in Bangkok for the past 10 years, helping the poor especially the children. She described the lives of the people there, how they lived from day to day on their meagre earning of about 100 baht a day. Sometimes when there is no work, there will be no food on the table for dinner or breakfast the next day. Children as young as 5 roams the slums in the morning if they are hungry. They don't go to school coz they cannot afford it. Many children turn to drugs, especially glue sniffing. So her mission is to get these kids to get some education - putting them in school is easy, trying to interest them to stay is the challenge.

Listening to her today reminded me of how passionate I was when I was one. I suppose that's why teaching is more a vocation than a profession. Believe me, not everyone can become a teacher. I have people telling me that being a teacher is so easy, you get so many holidays and you work only half a day... ahhh... or so they think. Looks can be deceiving, just ask the teachers you know.
They don't see the fact teachers start work as early as 7 am, and often time don't leave school until after 1 pm (on a good day) and sometimes 3/4... errr... Malaysian teachers that is... Teachers have to go back to school on Saturdays to hold extra classes or extra curricular activities. Sometimes teachers have to get involved with organising inter school or inter-district event, and thus work more than just their teaching duties. And when their students are selected to represent their school or district or country, it means more work for them. They don't see the fact that in getting the students to learn what you teach them, you need to prepare your lesson properly, and comprehensively so that you cover every level of abilities in the class of 40 to 50!! And don't forget the tons of marking to do!!

Being teacher has brought many joy in my life and not to mention the countless headaches that came my way. 2 days ago a former student contacted me through facebook. She is now in Sheffield, doing her post grad degree. I am indeed proud of her and it makes me happy that I had played a part in her education. Such is the gratifying aspects of being a teacher.

No comments: